Paula B. Mays
Accomplished attorney with a specialization in Trademark law; Proven leadership capabilities, significant experience in analyzing complex legal questions of law and decide cases in a quasi- judicial manner: Extremely strong writing, research, and litigation skills.
Intellectual property consultation specifically, trademarks, copyright, trademark infringement for foreign and domestic clients, trademark prosecution, copyright filings and licensing agreements; Contract trademark prosecution services to Ian Burns and Associates, Nevada including responses to office actions, Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) matters.
Hudson Legal Services Washington, D.C.-Contract attorney. Review documents for responsiveness; Privilege review to determine which documents are subject to attorney client privilege, quality review, and redaction of privileged documents.
MARCH 1995-MARCH 2008
ATTORNEY ADVISOR UNITED STATES PATENT AND TRADEMARK OFFICE
Decided over twenty thousand (20,000) cases on complex legal issues; Conducted trademark searches, Issued decisions on the registrability of trademarks under the Lanham Act; Issued refusals and compliance letters under the Lanham Act and international treaties and instruments. Defended final decisions in appeals before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. (TTAB); Significant experience in complex computer, internet and machinery cases; Specifically assigned to handle the mark: Internet for over three years. Produced high quality opinions under stringent production based system demanding high quality and expediency in deciding cases; Utilized Lexis Nexis, the Internet and online sources and other research tools in order to determine the actual nature of complex and often newly-developed goods or services; Senior mentoring attorney in an office of complex machinery goods, reviewed junior attorney´s work product, signed off on office actions before they were sent out, reviewed recommendations for registration, and offered assistance in assuring production and meeting agency goals.
- Senior mentoring attorney
- Original member and developer of USPTO's first E-commerce law office which was created to pilot the electronic examination of trademark applications and the Trademark Electronic Applications Systems, (TEAS)
- Executive Board member of the NTEU 245, National Treasury Employees Union- Participated in negotiations and bargaining for the benefit of trademark examining attorneys and the benefit of trademark operations. Worked on issues including e-government, telecommuting, and performance appraisals
APRIL 1985- AUGUST 1991
ASSISTANT STATE´S ATTORNEY PRINCE GEORGE´S COUNTY MARYLAND
Prosecutor Prince George´s County, Maryland. Prepared and argued hundreds of cases before the Courts of Prince George´s County, Maryland; Responsible for court orders for signature of judges; Team leader of agency attorneys.
SEPTEMBER 1991- FEBRUARY 1995:
PRIVATE PRACTICE OF LAW OFFICE PAULA B. MAYS, LARGO, MARYLAND Represented clients in a variety of civil and criminal matters; Responded to and prepared interrogatories, depositions, legal memoranda, and other legal writing: Won stock arbitration claim against major financial company.
- JD 1984 OHIO NORTHERN UNIVERSITY LAW SCHOOL, ADA, OHIO Activities: Moot Court Board of Advocates, Moot Court Book Award, Best Brief, Regional finalist: Moot Court Competition (1983-1984)
- BA 1981 WESTMINSTER COLLEGE, NEW WILMINGTON, PA
- MAJOR: POLITICAL SCIENCE/ BROADCASTING
Certificate of Achievement for Development of E-Commerce Offices; USPTO Outstanding performance bonuses multiple years.
LANGUAGE SKILLSSPANISH (WRITTEN AND SPOKEN)
ADDITIONAL INTERESTS AND AFFILIATIONS
Lay Reader/- Washington National Cathedral; Read appointed lessons before thousands of people and dignitaries from around the world. Immediate past Secretary to St. Anna’s Fund, multimillion-dollar fund to provide housing for indigent women. Member, British Chamber of Commerce in Spain served on the Board of local chapter.